Tuesday, May 15, 2012

What Happens When The Dreams You Didn't Know You Even Had All Come True?

I just spent $150.00 on a race. I’m sure it will be at least another $500.00 before it’s all over.

But I’m giddy. I can’t sleep. I’m so stinkin’ excited.

The Nike Women’s Marathon and Half Marathon is mecca for lady runners. They try to keep it small (only 25,000 runners….), women are let in by a lottery and many women put their names in year after year after year and don’t get in.

But I found a loophole.

Nike is a company that celebrates women athletes and caters to the young ones. So, they keep registration open for college students.

Hey, wait! I’m a college student!

As if making the decision to go back to get my Bachelor’s degree wasn’t already a great idea….look what it got me!

BLISSSSSS!

I GOT IN!

I started to think about why THIS RACE was making me so excited.

I wanted this race….bad. Probably because it was the hardest to get in to.

Even when I didn’t get picked in the drawing, I knew I was meant to do this race. I KNEW I was going to be running from the Union Square and through Golden Gate Park.

I JUST KNEW.

Maybe I want to do it because I was born there. Maybe it’s because I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I can talk my folks into being at the finish line and bringing my Nonnie.

As I continue on this journey to lose more weight and become more healthy, I’m realizing that races have become the goal AND the reward.

A year and a half ago, if you had told me that running a difficult half marathon would make me this happy I would have told you that you were out of your mind.

But I got in and I’m ecstatic and excited and I feel like my dreams are coming true.

And the Tiffany finishers necklace doesn’t hurt either…

No comments:

Post a Comment