Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Crashing From the High...

When I decided to run a marathon, I sought out lots of advice.
I talked about it ALL.THE.TIME.
I mean Team Ditto (it wasn't just me) could clear a room with their talk of Shot Blocks, pace, compression socks,etc.
I learned a lot about discipline.  About what fuels my body needs to be the most efficient.
I learned which socks ensured I had toenails at the end of a race and how NOT to tape up my toes to avoid blisters.
I learned that my willingness to try and can do attitude can be infectious and even inspiring.
I kind of fell in love with myself.
In a good way.
People told me that this would be a life-changing experience. And it is.
My life is changed. I’m one of .5% of Americans who have run a marathon.
And I have been HIGH on that fact.
But now I’m coming back down to earth.
I don’t have a race scheduled until the end of August.
And I’m all like, “What’s next! What’s next?”
I’m REALLY enjoying my shorter, easier runs but I want to go EVERY DAY now rather than 3-4 times a week.
AND I’m totally unmotivated to do anything else.
Work, meh?
School, meh?
Other obligations, meh?
I just want to run so I can keep feeling the high.
The reason my blog is called “stRUNg out” is because I am an addict.
It’s all I think about.
It gives me so much, but this is the first time I’ve come off a race and crashed.
It may have taken a few days, but now what do I do?
If I’m not the crazy girl signed up for a gabillion races, who am I?
Is it time to start thinking about new goals, new races, new distances?
Maybe it is…
So for now I’m going to stick to trying to get faster.
I’d like to break 2:30 in a half marathon.
That’s 11:27 per mile.
That’s more than one minute per mile LESS than I’m doing now.
So where will I do it?
I’m thinking I left my heart in San Francisco….may as well run through and look for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment