Tuesday, March 18, 2014

LA Marathon March 2014

People keep asking me how the LA Marathon went.  All I can think to say is, “It was hard.”

I know this sounds a little bit obvious but it is the only way I can describe it.
I guess I should change my answer to, “I had a hard day”, but alas.

Some days you just don’t have a great run and unfortunately there was the perfect storm of situations that made this true for me last Sunday.
It’s a mixed bag of emotions.  I didn’t think it was possible to be so happy and feel so accomplished at the same time as feeling so disappointed.

I REALLY wanted to do well this year.  I didn’t expect miracles.  I wasn’t trying to do anything spectacular, but my body and the weather had other plans.

BUT -and there is a BIG BUT here- I still feel excellent.

For all the sweat, tears, chaffing and disappointment, there is this sense of invinsibility.
It never occurred to me that I wasn’t going to finish.
Not when the temperature hit almost 90 degrees.
Not when my weak hamstring started giving me a hard time.
Not when I started crying for the umpteenth time.

And here is why:
A month before the marathon, I started a list.  This list was of 26.2 people who have inspired me in some way.  Each person has touched my life in some way and I thoughtfully  assigned each person a mile.
Then I sent them a card that told them what mile they were assigned and why I chose them for a mile.
It actually worked.

When I was running, and then walking (the wheels fell off the wagon about Mile 17ish), and I started to think I was defeated, I switched my thoughts to my Mile Inspiration.  I looked at their name on the index card that was in my pocket and I remembered the things they do that make me proud to be their friend and blessed to have them in my life.

Because of this, I could not quit.
Because of them, I accomplished a goal.

Many people came and saw me along the route or encouraged me via text and I would be remiss if I didn't mention:
Sara and Vicki with their "coffee" at Mile 6
The Criner's and the Mangione's in front of the Pantages - this is when I lost it the first time, but they offered water and fruit and hugs....just what I needed
Laura and Vayden's awesome signs at Hollywood and Highland
Ditto and Litto in front of the El Capitan
Brandi and her pretzels and words of encouragement at Mile 18
Deb, Staci and Mel's texts as I ran!

Although I was saw many people and received a ton a texts, a marathon can be a lonely day and I spent the better part of 7 hours and 4 minutes alone.

But I was never really alone, my 26.2 were with me. They were moving my legs forward. They were the voices in my head telling me I could do it. 

They were in my heart bringing me peace and for that I will forever be grateful, not just for how they got me through the day, but for how they get me through EVERY day.


My cup runneth over and I will spend each day trying not to forget this.

Because no matter how difficult March 9, 2014 was, I still felt like this after and it was ALL because of THEM!



No comments:

Post a Comment