Tuesday, July 5, 2011

12 Races in 2011!



So, about 2 months ago I decided I was going to do a race a month for the rest of the year...then looking back, I realized at the end of the year I will have participated in some way in 12 races in 2011.
Here's a rundown of what I've participated in so far and a wrap up of my latest race!

It was last October when I decided (with the help of some friends) that I needed to start taking better care of me. At the time, if someone asked me if I ran my answer was always, "Only if someone's chasing me". Who would've thought that 9 months later I would be a runner? I can say I'm a runner for two reasons:

1. I'm obsessed with any and all running accessories! Road ID bracelet-check! UV arm muffs-Check! Belt with water bottles on it-Check! Fancy compression socks-Check! New shoes and newer shoes-check! Next purchase is that super fancy Garmin watch that Staci has....oooooh I want one, but I promised I'd lose 5 more pounds first!

2. I smile when I see a photographer during races.

In November I started C25K and decided I would run the 5K that I was co-chairing. Well, I didn't run that race BUT I have done A LOT more!

Here's a quick recap of what I've done so far:

Race #1
3/5/2011- Mardi Gras Madness 5K - Goals were- under 45 minutes, run the whole time, don't come in last
Finished in 40:22, ran the whole time, didn't come in last!!!!

Race #2
3/12/2011- St Patrick's Day 5K-Goals were under 50 minutes (it was a tough cross country course with big hills), don't come in last.
Finished in 47:12, didn't come in last

Race #3
4/9/2011- Footsteps 5K-Goals were under 40 minutes, don't come in last
Finished in 39:36, didn't come in last

Race #4
4/17/2011-Down & Dirty Mud Run-Goals were have fun, finish!
Finished in 1:02...I had no idea what to expect but it was so much fun, I'll definitely do it again!

Race #5
5/14/2011-BMCF Fight It! 5K-I didn't run this race, but I co-chaired it. It was by far the hardest thing I've ever done (and I'm still finishing a few loose ends) however, it was rewarding and exciting as well. We had over 380 runners and raised over $21,000 for a great cause. This was the hardest "race" I've ever done. No amount of training can prepare you for the amount of work it takes to put on a successful event!

Race #6
6/5/2011-Love Run 10K-Goals were to run the whole time, finish, don't be last (and my secret goal was under an hour and a half)
Finished in 1:22:12, ran the whole time, finished and not last!

Now that we're all up-to-date...Here's a recap of yesterday's race!

Race #7
7/4/2011-Independance Day Classic 5K-Goals were to run the whole time and finish under 39 minutes
Unofficial time is 38:18! I ran the whole time and it was HOT!!!!

We all wore red, white and blue! Shout out to Nicole for the cutest running outfit EVER! (That's her in the tutu if you didn't already figure it out!) This is the first race I didn't wear my "That's not sweat it's my fat crying" shirt....but I made up for it.....



I wrote it on my arm along with "Sub 39:00" to remind me what I was doing there and that I had a new goal for a personal record!

That afternoon someone turned my joke around and said, "I can't believe you ran! Was someone chasing you?"
My answer? "Absolutely someone was chasing me! Me....70 pounds ago!" I'm definitely running away from the out-of-shape 70 pound heavier me and toward something soooo much better!

Something better like my next 5 races!

Race #8
8/21/2011-Mc Connell's 10K Santa Barbara
Race #9
9/3/2011- Disneyland 5K
Race #10
10/2/2011-Santa Monica 5000 10K
Race #11
11/6/2011-Santa Clarita Marathon 5K
Race #12
12/4/2011-Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon in VEGAS!

I also plan on doing more Fun Runs, Running Pub Crawls and training of course. Running has become a big part of my life! I can't believe I'm saying it, but I LOVE IT!

For those of you who think, "I can't run!" You can! I always thought I wasn't a runner, but I'm just not a fast runner. I can do it because my body is so much stronger than I give it credit for! So give your body the credit it deserves and take it for a run!

No comments:

Post a Comment